Monday, September 29, 2008

Under the Desert Sun


Okay, okay. I probably know what you are thinking . . . what happened to that tree? To be honest, I have pondered this very question myself! But to make a long story a little shorter, it was me. I happened. I came, I saw, I chopped! After that I chopped a little more, then a little more, then I must admit a lot more until the final result which is what you see in the photo. 

So, now that you know the answer to your first question, you may be asking; "WHY"? This question my be somewhat more difficult to answer. And in light of the horrific amount of ridicule that has already been heaped upon my aching shoulders, I would rather not answer your inquiry outright. Thus, I feel it best to give you several scenarios and then let you decide-

Scenario #1 - In my advancing years, much like the memorable Don Quixote I had a lapse in judgement, and perceived the tree to be a monstrous giant that was attempting to destroy our home. In full regalia, I attacked and defeated the gruesome beast by hacking its limbs into useless kindling!

Scenario #2 - The large and spreading branches of the tree had finally nearly blocked out the sun in our front yard. Missing the rays generated by the yellow orb that we circle yearly I maximized the sun's efficiency by minimizing the ray blocking branches to the max!

Scenario #3 - During a summer breeze (and you need to know breezes in Las Vegas are similar to hurricanes in many of parts of this fair land) earlier this year, the main trunk of the tree splintered and broke. This left me no choice but to top the tree off, leaving only branches that had been growing outward from the main trunk, rather than upward. Being the typ
e of desert tree that it is, and as demonstrated when the main trunk broke, the branches that were growing out could no longer support their own weight, and were beginning to break as well. In an attempt to lighten the load for these branches, it was necessary to totally cut what was left away.

Scenario #4 - Being a big fan of Homestar Runner, I was hoping that if I made my own stick, that maybe, just maybe Strongbad would meet me by it. After all; "What is it you don't understand about meet me by the stick"?


So, it is in your hands now. I'm sure the ridicule really won't be abated much by 
my explanations, but at least I tried.





P.S. - Strongbad helped me draw a picture of the tree before it met its untimely demise.

1 comment:

Trevor and Jamie said...

I think it is scenario #5. You have just gone crazy in your old age.